Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Introduction

The purpose of this blog is going to be to monitor the activities at Marquette University in Milwaukee Wisconsin. This university, which labels itself as "Milwaukee's Catholic Jesuit University" rarely if ever fills up to its billing. The cost of the tuition, room, and board, is excessive for what one gets from the university. Moreover, this has absolutely nothing to do with being a Jesuit University. As such, as the "Warrior Watcher" I will compare the policies of this university to the teachings of St. Ignatius of Loyola. As an individual who has in depth knowledge of certain aspects of this university, I will hopefully add insight into the true nature of what thousands of people are paying $30,000 a year for. That is, a highly secular education which is rooted in profit margins, and greed, rather than "Cura Personalis" (care for the whole person). Another supposed motto of the university, as with all Jesuit schools is AMDG "Ad Majorem Dei Glorium" or for the greater glory of God. To which I retort, which part of paying $1200 a semester for food is promoting the glory of God? How exactly does this university actually live up to Jesuit ideals, or even the ideals of the Roman Catholic Church? I hope that everyone will enjoy this blog, as I point out the failings of the university, and hopefully this will lead to some progress towards recreating a university which once had a law school which was cheaper than that of UW-Madison.

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing what becomes of this blog. I've watched from a distance the changes taking place at MU. As a product of Jesuit education, I have observed a clear and seemingly intentional deviation from the true ideals of Ignatian philosophy. God speed as you work towards your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support. Let me know if there is any particular subject which you would like for me to cover in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I fall in love with the idea of Marquette, with what Marquette could be and sometimes is, the more I realize how far short this institution often falls of our proclaimed values. I look forward to following this blog and your efforts to move Marquette toward the place where we have been called.

    ReplyDelete